Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Green Tomato Chili

I found this recipe at Cooking With Michele. I was lost because her recipe did not have beans, so I added some. I thought her amount of Poblano peppers was too much, so I added only 1/4 of 1 pepper. I wasn't too excited with the flavor so I added 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies. I will not be making this one again.

First brown 1 pound ground beef with 1 onion, diced. Add about 2-3 cups of diced Poblano and banana peppers (small, thin - skinned ones - if they are thick - skinned you will want to roast and peel them first), 1 cup diced red tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups pureed green tomatoes. Add standard chili seasoning blend - a good amount of chili powder (1-2 tablespoons), cumin (2-3 teaspoons), coriander (1 teaspoon), salt and pepper - plus a little cayenne for a kick but leave that out if you don't want it hot. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes. You'll never know there are green tomatoes in the mix.






No comments: